34950 Date Palm Dr, Cathedral City, CA


A tale appeared within the December 22, 2002 Newsday newspaper telling of an asthmatic woman named Vanessa. On September 15, 2002, Vanessa experienced a severe asthma attack which caused her to quit breathing, suffer cardiac arrest, and fall into a coma. It had been estimated that her heart had stopped for as long as ten minutes before paramedics could restart it. In the hospital, her family had not been given much hope. If she did pull through, they were told, the probabilities for severe brain damage were great.

Vanessa appeared to be battling asthma her entire life. But this attack almost cost the young lady her life. Vanessa's coma was severe. Although her eyes were opened, nobody saw any indication that she could see. Doctors speculated how the section of her brain probably to have been damaged by oxygen deprivation would render her blind. On her behalf relatives and family who stayed along with her the coma was torturous and disturbing to see. Vanessa clenched her fists. Her legs moved constantly, kind of like she were riding a bicycle.

A couple of Vanessa's relatives were patients of a chiropractor, Dr. Andy Forelli. They told Dr. Forelli about the heartbreaking story of Vanessa. Being moved, Dr. Forelli wanted to drive to see Vanessa, being unaware that Vanessa was at a hospital 2 . 5 hours away. The family accepted Dr. Forelli's offer so he made the trip.

Dr. Forelli arrived to Vanessa's room on the evening of Sept. 30. There family members told him how the doctors ended up talking on that day about putting Vanessa into a nursing home. Vanessa's mother Siobhan, recalls what went down next, "He put his hands on Vanessa's face and spoke to her," Siobhan said, "and she looked right at him and furrowed her brow, as if to say, 'Who the hell are you?' At that time, we knew that she could see. He adjusted her neck. She winced, after which she smiled. He went around to the opposite side of the bed, and she furrowed her brow again, and he adjusted her neck from that side, and she smiled, closed her eyes, and went to sleep. He and I then spoke for maybe fifteen minutes, and he got in the car and drove back to New York."

Back to Articles List